A week or so ago I listed “My 7 bad habits as a Diabetic”. I wanted to list “My 7 Good habits”. Diabetes isn’t too hard to deal with and for me it has gotten alot easier to manage.
Here they are:
1. Endo- I go to the Endo every 3 months for lab work and to ask questions. I ask questions about things I see on the net or whatever is on my mind at the time. I try to take a list with me.
2. Eye exam- I get a “Diabetic Eye” exam once a year. If you don’t follow this routine I would recommend that you do. The eyes is the only place they can see your blood vessels and if something is wrong with your blood vessels in your eyes then something could be wrong somewhere else. Early detection is the key.
3. Dentist- I go to the dentist every 6 months for a dental exam. Diabetic’s are at risk for perodontail disease, I don’t know about you but I don’t want to be a snaggle puss at 35. So if you haven’t been to the Dentist you should go.
4. Blood Sugar- I am very good at checking my BG’s 4-5 times a day. It’s a pain in the butt, it has to be done. Omnipod please hurry up intergrate the CGM with the Pod!!!
5. Carb Counting- I would consider myself an expert carb counter. I do pretty well and when in doubt, I eat a salad. I did mess up Saturday; darn Chilli’s!
6. Back up- I always carry a insulin pin with me incase I have a pod malfuction. I had a bad pod once and I had to leave work to replace the pod. Lesson learned.
7. Glucose tablets- I never leave home without them!!! They have saved me so many times. Dropping low doesn’t feel good, when I start to feel the shakes coming on or start sweating a whip those bad boys out, pop 3 tablets in my mouth, 5-10 minutes later I am back to normal and make my way to find something to eat! I always carry a snack of some sort in my purse.
Well those are a few my good habits in no particular order. What are yours?